October 11, 2017 -- Camp Concordia
This guard tower is one of only 3 surviving original buildings at POW Camp Concordia, just outside Concordia, Kansas. Camp Concordia was a World War II internment camp for German POWS captured primarily in battles across North Africa from May 1, 1943 through November 8, 1945. At its height, the camp held over 4,000 German POWs. Strategically located in the heartland of America, where prisoners could be employed on local farms, the camp saw only 2 escapes and 8 POW deaths during its operation.
Hastily built in the spring of 1943, construction of Camp Concordia began in February, 1943 and the POW camp was turned over to the US Army on May 1, 1943. During this 90-day construction period, the contractors erected 304 buildings including a 177 bed hospital, fire department, warehouses, cold storage, and officers club, and barracks, mess halls & administrative buildings for both the German POWs and American soldiers. Total cost of building the Camp Concordia was $1,808,806. At its peak Camp Concordia housed 4,027 Prisoners, 880 soldiers and 179 civilian Employees.
If interested, more about Camp Concordia can be found here: http://powcampconcordia.org/about.php