November 28, 2018 -- Fairport Harbor West Breakwater Lighthouse
On June 9, 1925, the Fairport Harbor West Breakwater Lighthouse was illuminated for the first time. It sits in Fairport Harbor, Ohio at the mouth of the Grand River, and was constructed to replace the original Fairport Harbor Lighthouse, which now serves as a marine museum. The original Fairport Harbor lighthouse protected the shore and directed mariners for 100 years before being falling into disrepair. In June 1917, Congress appropriated $42,000 for the construction of a new breakwater light. That funding included monies that would be used to demolish the original lighthouse.
Fairport Harbor Breakwater Lighthouse is now automated, and its Fresnel lens has been replaced with a modern optic. While the breakwater light can be seen from the old lighthouse, visitors wishing to get a better look at the light can walk out on the breakwater.