February 11, 2020 -- Three Flags over Niagara
The three flags flown daily above the parade ground symbolize the nations which have held Fort Niagara. Each competing for the support of a fouth nation: the powerful Iroquois Confederacy.
The French established the first post here, Fort Conti, in 1679. Its successor, Fort Denonville (1687-88) was equally short lived. In 1726 France finally erected a permanent fortification with the construction of the impressive "French Castle" (shown above); Britain gained control of Fort Niagara in 1759, during the French & Indian War, after a nineteen-day seige. The British held the post throughout the American Revolution but were forced, by treaty, to yield it to the United States in 1796. Fort Niagara was recaptured by the British in 1813, during the War of 1812. It was ceded back to the United States a second time in 1815 at the end of the War of 1812.
The War of 1812 was Fort Niagara's last armed conflict, and it thereafter served as a peaceful border post. The garrison expanded beyond the walls following the Civil War. Fort Niagara was a barracks and training station for American soldiers throughout both World Wars. The last army units were withdrawn in 1963. Today, the U.S. Coast Guard represents the only military presence on the site.
021120180618292212018JuneMonthsNew YorkNikonNikon D750Old Fort NiagaraTravel