The Cathedral of Saint John The Evangelist in Lafayette, Louisiana, built in 1916.
The Cathedral of Saint John the Evangelist or La Cathédrale St-Jean, originally called l'Église St-Jean du Vermilion, is the cathedral and mother church of the Catholic Diocese of Lafayette. It was the first parish in Lafayette Parish, founded in 1821, and was made cathedral upon the erection of the diocese in 1918.
This historic church is the third structure built on the site. The land was donated in 1821 by Jean Mouton, a wealthy planter who had founded the town as Vermilionville. The church was completed in 1916 in the Dutch Romanesque Revival style, and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. A large red and white brick structure, its notable features include stained glass produced in Munich depicting the life of the patron, oil paintings of Christ and the Apostles, and a Casavant Frères organ.
From 2018 Daily Photos