Fort Gibson is a National Historic Landmark in Eastern Oklahoma. Fort Gibson (Indian Territory) was constructed in 1824 to keep peace between warring Native American tribes in the area and was a base of operations for many expeditions. The fort was first abandoned in 1857, but reactivated during the Civil War and used as a base for post-war Reconstruction activities.
During its history, Fort Gibson became a vital point in U.S. relations with the so-called Five Civilized Tribes as they were forced west on the Trail of Tears and became a final stop on the Trial of Tears for thousands of Cherokee, Creek and Seminole families.
Over its 70-year history it was rebuilt several times and renamed twice. The Union Army of the Frontier occupied the fort in late 1862, renaming it as Fort Blunt after General James G. Blunt of Kansas. After the U.S. Civil War ended, the post was renamed back to Fort Gibson. In 1890, the U.S. Army declared the post obsolete and abandoned it.
Surviving or reconstructed structures include the stockade, the barracks, the magazine, hospital and bake-house. A museum helps orient visitors to the different parts of the large historic site. In addition, a small section of the earthworks built during the Civil War when the post was called Fort Blunt still survive.
Operated by the Oklahoma Historical Society, the site also hosts a number of special living history events and programs throughout the year.
201605216FP61692016D610MayOklahomaOld Fort GibsonTravel
From Old Fort Gibson