December 1, 2017 -- Cotton Mill Apartments
Cannelton Cotton Mill, also known as Indiana Cotton Mill, is a National Historic Landmark of the United States located in Cannelton, Indiana. Located facing the Ohio River and built in 1849, the mill is 280 feet (85 m) long and 60 feet (18 m) wide. Its most striking features are 100-foot (30 m) twin towers, one housed a fire escape and the other was used for water storage and fire protection. The cotton mill closed in 1954 and was converted to 70 low-income rental apartments in 2003.
The mill was built with sandstone quarried from nearby sandstone formations in Southern Indiana & Northern Kentucky. Facing the Ohio River, it was once the largest industrial building in the United States west of the Allegheny Mountains. It initially employed about 400 workers, mostly women and girls, and ANNUALLY produced more than 200,000 pounds of cotton batting and four million yards of cotton sheeting. Of the 309 workers employed there in 1890, only 78 were men.
Even though constructed adjacent to the Ohio River, the mill was completely coal fired with coal from nearby coal mines. The particular type of coal was Cannel Coal, thus the name of the town – Cannelton.
The mill closed in 1954 and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975 and became a National Historic Landmark in 1991. On October 2, 2003 the National Trust for Historic Preservation recognized Lincoln Hills Development Corporation, and others who partnered in the mill’s restoration, with its National Preservation Honor Award.
201710226FP03782017CanneltonD610IndianaOctoberOhio River Scenic BywayTravel
From 2012-17 Daily Photos